Prime Minister Scott Morrison has promised more money will be spent on aged care before Christmas after a damning royal commission report called for urgent funding.
The Aged Care Royal Commission's interim report has warned "cruel and harmful" aged care needs immediate funding for high-need, in-home care recipients.
Mr Morrison confirmed the federal government would announce new spending to help shocking neglect uncovered during the inquiry.
"I've been saying for some time now that we knew we would need to address issues coming out of this royal commission on aged care," he told 3AW radio on Friday.
The prime minister met with Treasurer Josh Frydenberg and Aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck on Thursday night to discuss funding options ahead of the mid-year budget update.
Mr Morrison said the royal commission was the start of the process, which had uncovered "shocking" and difficult to read information.
"It doesn't matter whether they're family or not your family, they should all have the same type of standard of care right across the country," he said.
The interim report also highlighted dealing with the use of chemical restraints in residential aged care and getting 6000 young disabled people out of nursing homes as soon as possible.
Mr Morrison said the figure had fallen from 6200 to 5600 over the past two years, but both issues would need more attention.
"There are already some things that have been done in all of these areas but there's so much more to do which is what the royal commission is highlighting," he said.
He pointed to Brisbane-based YoungCare, which builds home for young people with serious disabilities, as a model.
"We've got to acknowledge the problem, we know there's a lot more work to do and we've got to create a new culture of respect for older Australians, which is what I said when we first announced this," Mr Morrison said.
"That's at the heart of what the report says."
Labor deputy leader Richard Marles blamed the government, saying it had been dragged "kicking and screaming" to the royal commission.
"They've been in government the last six years. What's going on?" he told the Nine Network.
"This is an absolute national scandal."
Meanwhile, Australia's aged care commissioner has defended her agency's oversight of the sector.
Janet Anderson said as a regulator she held service providers to account, but was waiting for new legislation to give her broader powers.
"We come with our sleeves rolled up," she told the ABC.
© AAP 2019